Wednesday, May 18, 2022

True Grit

My precious mother passed away on Wednesday May 11th, 2022. I thought about that day many times. Ever since she first started exhibiting signs of what we would later discover was parkinsons disease. 
Mom was sick for many years. It was heartbreaking to see her faculties fail her one by one. When she first passed away I was grateful that her suffering had finally ended. I thought about how happy she would be up there with Charlie, her brothers and her mom and dad. Over the past few days I started collecting pictures for her wake. Thats when all the memories started flooding back and I found myself crying and wishing for another day with her. Mom was so many things, a great daughter, a loving sister, a caring friend and an amazing Momma. There are so many things I could say about her, she was vibrant, she was fun she was voted most popular in high school and was the captain of the cheer leaders. She was absolutely beautiful and people were drawn to her. To me, the most remarkable thing about my mother was her grit and determination. If she put something in her mind, that was it. It was gonna happen no matter what. 
A story that comes to mind is when I was 7 months old and I was diagnosed with Severe Factor 5 Hemophilia. The doctors told her I wouldn't live a normal life and they said I most likely wouldn't live to be 18 years old. Mom took me home and loved me and treated me like I was the best child she could of ever wished for. She gave me courage to live life. 
Another story that comes to mind is when I was 12 years old I had internal bleeding and I was very sick. I was flown air ambulance to the children's hospital. The doctors approached mom and tried to prepare her for the worst. The funny thing is mom wasn't having it. I was gonna survive and everything was gonna be fine and that's just the way it was going to be. She wouldn't even listen to anything else.
Now I only have 1 week of living without my mom and as hard as it has been I know she would want me to be happy and joyful. She would want me to live life the the fullest just like she did.


No comments:

Post a Comment