Tuesday, September 10, 2013

University of Calgary

So, I spoke at the University of Calgary on Friday. This had been my third time doing this talk and I have to say I really enjoy it. I try and write a new speech every time and then the students ask me questions for about 40 minutes. The questions seem to range from everything to what a blood test on someone with factor 5 would look like to how things like a manicure or pedicure would affect me. As you must know I love talking about myself but I also like learning new things. During this talk we talked about the fact how other people with factor 5 deficiency even if they have less than 1 % they don't always have internal muscle and joint bleeds like me. For example there are two people I know with severe factor 5 deficiency who have only been treated a handful of times in their whole lives. This really baffles me because the longest I have ever been in my whole life without getting a blood transfusion as been one year. It baffles me and also makes me jealous. Not only do a have rare and strange disease but I have one of the worse forms of it! Oh well you gotta play the cards your dealt I suppose so while I do not love having this disease I am trying to make the best of it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment