Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Secrets and Lies

So, Secrets and Lies is a TV show on ABC. It is the most perfectly named TV show since a recent episode has a character describe Hemophilia as "A nasty bi product of incest."
That is a complete lie.
When I first heard about this I was a little mad, I thought this isn't true, why would they say that and is hurting an entire community of people really crucial to the plot development of this show? 
Anyways, after a few days I tried to forget about it because as I've mentioned before I have low iron at the moment and I am feeling completely exhausted. 
But this whole thing brings up some very painful memories for me.
When I was a kid I was watching Degrassi Junior High with my older sister. I was maybe 8 years old and one of the characters was told he could possibly have AIDS. He said something along the lines of "I can't have AIDS only gay people and Hemophiliacs have that." Now looking back that was the first time I have ever heard the word Hemophilia on TV and it was mostly likely the first time I heard of AIDS and even though I didn't know what it was I knew it was bad by the way he was acting.
Isn't that a terrible thing for a child to see on TV? Isn't that a terrible thing for other people to see and maybe assume that about somebody?
That's the problem I have about this comment on Secrets and Lies, I don't need an apology from ABC I am old enough now and I have been to many conferences and I know how Hemophilia is passed down genetically.
But what I do need is for any young adults out there who have seen this show or heard of this to know that just because a person has Hemophilia doesn't mean their parents were brother and sister as it states on the show. That is just rude, uneducated and not true.
March is Hemophilia awareness month and this is a terrible reminder that we obviously as a community still have a lot of educating to do!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. human ignorance is the media's power . That's why having truthful and informative blogs like yours is so important. xo

    ReplyDelete